26.7.14

Books, books, books

I’ve spent the whole month escaping in books. First it was on vacation when I had lots of time to read and to escape the boredom of Parksville, and since I’ve been back it’s just a good way to de-stress from work.

I’d set myself a New Year’s Resolution of reading one book a month because I felt I was spending too much time watching TV and being on my iPad, and it’s been one I’ve kept. Also, I read six months’ worth in this one month, so I don’t have to read anything for the rest of the year. Just kidding, I’m not going to stop. Also, I’m a little obsessed with library eBooks. The fun of reading, at no cost!

  1. Blue Plate Special – Kate Christensen.
    Since I’m obsessed with food, I loved how the story of her life (and an interesting one, too) was linked together with food.
  2. Jim Henson: The Biography – Brian Jay Jones.
    Very detailed, very comprehensive, really fascinating, and a must-read for anyone who grew up on the Muppets like me. So much talent and creativity in one person, it’s amazing.
  3. Bossypants – Tina Fey.
    Hilarious. I’m a Tina Fey fan, so wouldn’t expect anything less. I’m listening to the audiobook right now because it’s interesting to hear it in her voice, but I really hate audiobooks. I find they’re like listening to a long monologue. I make the exception for her, though.
  4. A Long Way Down – Nick Hornby.
    The only novel on this list, which is interesting to me. (I thought I only read fiction.) I don’t know if I’m a fan of Nick Hornby. I didn’t want to stop reading, but I don’t think it’s one I’d ever return to.
  5. The Bling Ring – Nancy Jo Sales.
    I really liked Nancy Jo Sales’s Vanity Fair article, and I just finished watching the movie so I thought I’d read her book. It was a quick read, and insanely fascinating, but I’m not sure that a full book was necessary. At any rate, I kinda understood their motivations. You see something, you want it. I’ve done the same things with blogs I read. I have never stolen anything, however.
  6. Toast – Nigel Slater.
    Another life story told through food. This one I liked just for all the British foods I’ve never heard of but had to Google because I needed to know what they are: Heinz Sponge Pudding, Jammie Dodgers, bourbon biscuits, Walnut Whip, Sherbet Fountains. Some of these sound truly disgusting (sponge cake in a can is so bleahhhh), but I suppose that’s what happens when you grow up in England in the 1960s.

If anyone has any good book recommendations, I’d love to hear them!

5 comments:

  1. I read "Bossy Pants" and I liked it. I am not a Tina Fey fan. I am not not a Tina Fey fan either. I am just neutral, but I enjoyed the book. I would love to read thr Jim Henson book. That sounds interesting. I have only been reading Fantasy and Science Fiction lately mixed in with children's books. If you like zombies, I highly recommend "The Girl With All The Gifts." It was really good.

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of science fiction or zombies, but I'll check this out, thanks!

      Delete
  2. I just read The Interestings - which was interesting in bits but it wasn't awesome. I also finished The One and Only - which I recommend you steer FAR FAR AWAY from.
    I am now 2 pages into Night Film

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Haha, now I'm curious about The One and Only after your glowing review. :) That bad, but you toughed it through?

      I may check out The Interestings, I'm mildly interested.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...