21.10.13

Hej, København

(Previously: Iceland, London)

I’ve always had a fascination with Scandinavia for some reason. Maybe it’s because I like cold weather. Maybe I was Norwegian in another lifetime. At any rate, it’s been on my bucket list to visit Scandinavia and I’ve finally dipped my toe into it with Denmark. (Depending on who you ask, Iceland is a Nordic country, not part of Scandinavia proper, so it may not count).

Denmark is the happiest country on earth, according to the second World Happiness Report. The locals certainly looked happy. I definitely had a happy time in Copenhagen. It's a beautiful, clean city with some beautiful, beautiful scenery, made even better by the gorgeous weather we were blessed with.


At Nyhavn (New Harbour, though not so new, built in the 17th Century by Swedish prisoners of war).


Operaen, the Copenhagen Opera House.


It means “a leash.” Will likes it for me because I love dogs and I snore.


On the way to Amalienborg, the winter palace of the Danish Royal Family.


One of the buildings at Amalienborg.


Me at Amalienborg.


Frederiks Kirke (Frederik’s Church), commonly known as Marmorkirken (The Marble Church).


the ceiling in Marmorkirken.


The altar at Marmorkirken.


You can climb up to the dome, but we didn’t make the times it was open to do that.


Part of a large mural around the corner from the church. Scandinavians seem to like nudity. So this must be the happiest naked guy in the world.

 
I don’t remember the name of this church, but it’s in a beautiful spot.


The army barracks are colourful.


I think this is my favourite photo.


For some reason there’s a replica of David on the harbour.


I love the colourful townhouses on the north side. Hans Christian Anderson lived at Number 7 for many years.

Copenhagen is an ideal city for a boat tour.


Den lille havfrue (the Little Mermaid statue), as seen from the water. We didn’t go look at her from the front. She’s a little less than impressive…


Noma is in this building. We didn’t go, but if we’d thought about it months it advance we probably could have. Anthony Bourdain did a fawning episode of Parts Unknown on Noma (full episode here), aired after we visited of course.

On our second day, we rented a car and drove up the coast.


You can see Sweden on the other side.

Our destination was Helsingør (English: Elsinore), where Hamlet's castle is.


Otherwise known as Kronborg Castle.


The strait of Øresund separates Denmark from Sweden and connects the Baltic Sea to the North Sea. Helsingborg, Sweden is on the other side.


The weather was too beautiful to be dark and brooding like Hamlet.

 
Not sure who would want to try to swim, it’s pretty damn cold.


But I had to stick my hand into the water.

If it hadn’t been so cold, I would have sat by the water all day.

Denmark is a beautiful country. Definitely recommended and I would love to go back.

(Next up: where I shopped in Europe…)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...