14.5.12

Work-appropriate dysmorphia

I work in a corporate office, but the dress code is business casual. (I've heard a story about our late founder who got cranky when he saw a meeting of lawyers all in business suits on his floor, he asked his secretary why there were so many suits there). I like a more relaxed dress code because I'd hate to be tied to restrictive rules (suits, closed-toe shoes, pantyhose, for instance), but then it leaves it open to some, uh, interesting interpretations of business casual. I've seen miniskirts, strapless dresses/tops (no cardigan), fishnet tights (not the small ones, the big ones), crop tops, flip flops, and a lot of cleavage, all things I don't think are very appropriate in a corporate environment, even if it is business casual.


Anthro Pezza Dress (Deletta) | Club Monaco cardigan | Hilary Druxman necklace | Wolford Satin Opaque tights in Admiral | Tory Burch Reva Flats

I'm firmly in the no jeans from Monday to Thursday camp, but casual Friday rolls around and I’m usually wearing leggings, even though I know I probably shouldn’t. I've worn a few outfits that are probably not as professional as they could be, but I'm certainly not the worst.

But I think my coworker suffers from work-appropriate dysmorphia. On the way to lunch last week she was telling me she wants to buy a maxi skirt/dress, but she doesn’t think they’re very work appropriate. Maybe so, but she wears shiny leggings when it’s not casual Friday and doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with that (because she never meets with clients or has important meetings), so what difference does a maxi dress make?

(These are probably the last of the tights until the fall. It’s getting warmer but for some reason I’m hanging on, even though I’ve complained about them. More bare legs coming soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...