9.2.12

“They used to call me anal girl…I was very neat and organized.”

I’m not naturally neat and organized, but I have some very anal tendencies. I make a lot of lists. I fold my sweaters like this (my sister showed me and it works so much better than stacking them!). I looove organizing stores (I get very, very excited when I go to The Container Store – we don’t have them here).

But this is the best: I keep an ongoing Google document titled “Outfits”, which is, unsurprisingly, a list of possible outfit combinations. I’ll pop it open and add new outfits as I think of them or as I’m inspired by blogs, magazine photos, and even people I see in my office or on the street.

It’s pretty anal, but it helps me with a few things (and here comes a list):

  1. I make sure to wear everything in my closet.
  2. I shop my closet instead of buying new clothes to make new outfits when I get bored with the usual combinations.
  3. I can see where there are a few holes in my wardrobe (like the conspicuous lack of LBD).
  4. Most importantly, I’m never stumped for an outfit.

I’m not a very spontaneous and creative person. Fashion doesn’t really come easily to me, it’s always something I’ve had to work with. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve stood in front of my closet and thought “I have nothing to wear!” when that’s clearly not true, given how much I’ve shopped in the past. Very rarely I’ll have a momentary stroke of genius and put something together on the spot, but more often than not I’ll get easily overwhelmed by all the choices and I end up putting together fairly basic outfits, usually involving black. Like this one.


Anthro Luxe Reunion Top (Lil) | Anthro Alluring Sway Skirt (Cartonnier) | J.Crew Jenna’s Cardigan | Wolford Satin Opaque tights | Michael Kors heels

There’s nothing wrong with it, it’s easy, it’s effortless, there’s visual interest in the details of the pieces themselves, and it’s perfectly appropriate for work. I like it. It’s just that I might wear it every week if I didn’t actually put in the time and effort to think of other ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...