8.5.11

My mamma said

 
As seen in a store window on Mt. Pleasant Road in Toronto

I’ve always had a difficult relationship with my mom.  She’s not the easiest person to be around (controlling, opinionated, stubborn to the point of pig-headed, never satisfied with anything I ever do), and she’s done some things that are completely unacceptable to me, but I can’t just cut her out of my life. She means well all the time.  She wants the best for me, but it comes across as nothing I ever do is good enough for her.

Remember Aqua of Barbie Girl bubblegum pop one-hit wonder fame in the late 90s? (I feel so old.)  Apparently they’re still together.  Or back together.  Anyway, I came across one of their newer songs, which of course made me think of my mom.

Especially the line “my mamma said she’d give life up for me.”  That’s my mom.  Makes it even harder to be mad at her sometimes.

I called her this morning and we had a nice conversation.  But it’s better for both of us that we don’t live in the same city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...